Page: 1 2
|[ Prev ] [ Next ]|
Click on picture for a larger image
17. WINGFIELD (Suffolk). The present church, St. Andrew’s, really began with the foundation of the adjoining Wingfield College (the Wingfields’ ancient Manor house, c.1290s/1300, with its enthralling Great Hall), under the 1361 will of Sir John Wingfield, Chief of the peacetime Council of the Black Prince, the heir to the throne (who paid for Sir John’s magnificent funeral here). Sir John Wingfield’s effigy lies in a recess in the south wall. The south porch was built by Michael de la Pole, 1st Earl of Suffolk - who had married Katherine Wingfield, heiress of Sir John. The font was donated by their son, the 2nd Earl. It bears the arms: north – Wingfield, east & west – de la Pole, south – Stafford. The beautiful south-side chancel has delightful Wingfield wings, de la Pole leopards’ heads and Stafford knots. Sir John Wingfield’s grandson died en route from Wingfield to Agincourt (1415) and his son, William de la Pole rebuilt the chancel in his father’s memory. In 1995 the Wingfield Family Society (WFS) presented a cheque for $1,500 towards the major refurbishment. There are three WFS clerestory windows, all so marked: one funded by Lois Wingfield Wickham in memory of her brother, Dr. Bill Wingfield of Ashland, Virginia, co-founder of the WFS; one funded by Dr. James R. & Susan Wingfield of Illinois and one funded by all members of the WFS. The Wingfield vestry of this tiny village of 250 souls - mainly retired agricultural workers - has in its 20-year restoration program (1984-2004) already raised $658,000, and, as at July 1, 2003, is still $37,500 short for repairing the roof of this magnificent church.