|Click on picture for larger image|
21. MATTAPONI, King & Queen County, Virginia. Originally the colonial parish church of St. Stephen’s Parish, Mattaponi Church has been used by the Baptists since 1824. Here some 50 yards from the porch door stands the memorial to Thomas Wingfield “of York River” (Upton & Tickencote cadet line of Letheringham Wingfields), christened in 1664 at St. Bene’t’s, London - for whom a headright for land not far from this spot, “down Tomocoricond swamp”, as part of 430 acres, was claimed in 1680 by Joseph Styles. [A. 8WFA. B. 5WFA. ].